THE ULTIMATE STEAK SANDWICH
INGREDIENTS Serves 2
- 1 knob butter
- 2 onions
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 pinch sugar
- 75ml ale such as Yorkshire Gold Ale
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400g thick-cut steak
- 1 ciabatta
- 2 slices extra-mature Cornish Cheddar
- 1 handful rocket leaves
Thinly slice the onions. Separate the leaves and stalks of the thyme and discard of the stalks.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onions with the thyme, sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the ale and mustard, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in another frying pan and heat the grill to high.
- Season the steak and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the meat, for medium rare.
- Alternatively, you can grill the steak if you prefer.
- Set the steak aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, slice the ciabatta in half and top the bottom half with the onions, followed by the cheese.
- Pop under the grill to melt the cheese.
- Slice the steak and layer on top of the cheese, followed by the rocket.
- Top with the other half of bread and cut in two to serve.