STICKY TOFFEE APPLES
INGREDIENTS Serves 8
- 8smalls apple
- 400g granulated sugar
- 60g butter
- 200g golden syrup
- 2 tsp malt vinegar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Skewer each apple firmly with a lollipop stick and place on the sheet.
- Put the sugar, butter, syrup, vinegar and 120ml water in a large, heavy-based non-stick pan.
- Heat, stirring, for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5-7 minutes.
- Drop a tiny bit of the mixture into a bowl of ice-cold water – if it forms a firm ball, the toffee is ready.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, working quickly, take each apple by its stick and dip it into the toffee, swirling to coat evenly.
- Allow the excess toffee to drip off, then put back on the baking sheet to cool and set.